Crockpot Minestrone Soup
Now that I'm back to work, figuring out dinners has become more critical than ever. It seems like time flies when I get home, and we never make anything nutritional when rushed. So I'm making a crockpot meal every week and taking the time to prepare something wholesome and good for my family. We are also trying to have more "meatless" days in our menu planning, and this one is great with or without the chicken.
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetarian broth)
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, carrot and celery
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 can (16 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1-2 zucchinis, diced
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-in. chunks (optional)
- 1 cup prepared pearled couscous (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except the cannellini beans, zucchini, green beans in your crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cannellini beans, zucchini and green beans. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Spoon into bowls. We also added a spoonful or two of cooked pearled couscous for a little more of a hearty meal. Serve with crackers and cheese.