Another great hand-me-down recipe from another great friend! That's what cooking is all about, creating great food and sharing with friends. And if it's good enough they'll blog about it! This is an easy dessert that you can make ahead of time and then wow your guests. Warm up the shortcake a little in the microwave before serving and it'll taste like it's fresh out of the oven. A nice flaky cake to go with rich, juicy strawberries and cream.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cold butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut in cold butter with pastry blender or two knives.
- Stir in cream and beaten egg.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Press into a half-inch thick sheet. Cut into squares. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons sugar over sliced berries.
- Put berries and whip cream on top of the cake and enjoy!